What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?

The City Attorney is the attorney for the City of Green Bay, and is appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. The attorneys in the Law Department provide legal services to the Mayor, City Council, as well as for City departments, boards, commissions, employees, and officers. The Law Department also prosecutes violations of the Green Bay Municipal Code and non-criminal municipal court cases, but not any violations of state law or criminal matters.

The District Attorney is an elected official who investigates and prosecutes criminal activity throughout Brown County. The District Attorney represents the state and the county by focusing exclusively on prosecution of county and state crimes and offenses. The DA's Office number is 920-448-4190.

Show All Answers

1. What does the City Attorney do?
2. What doesn’t the City Attorney do?
3. I read that the City adopted an ordinance, and I want to make sure I am in compliance. Can you tell me if I am in compliance or if my interpretation is correct?
4. How do I obtain a copy of documents the city has in its files?
5. I need to file an appeal with the Sex Offender Residence Board. How do I do that?
6. Who do I call to report a potential City Code violation?
7. Can you represent me in my case?
8. I want to sue the city, how do I do that?
9. How can I get a copy of the City Code or a City ordinance?
10. Can you refer me to a private attorney?
11. I received a municipal citation, what should I do?
12. Where do I pay my parking ticket?
13. How do I contest my parking ticket?
14. What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?
15. I am having a dispute with my neighbor. Can the Law Department give me advice or assist in getting the dispute resolved?
16. My neighbor’s tree is growing over the property line or overhanging onto my property. Can the City do anything about it, or can I cut the limbs myself?
17. My neighbor built a fence on my property. What can I do?
18. My neighbor did something to his property that causes mine to flood. What can I do?