Failure to Pay Forfeitures

The alternative sentence for failure to pay was provided on the Defendant's Notice of Judgment that was given to you at your initial appearance, mailed to you after your pretrial, or given to you at trial. This notice also was mailed to you if you failed to appear for your initial appearance. If you fail to pay the forfeiture assessed against you, the court may send you to jail and/or may suspend your driving privileges.

If there is a suspension of your driver's license and/or ability to obtain a driver's license, you must first pay the forfeiture. After the forfeiture is paid, the court will transmit to the DMV that the suspension should be lifted. After 48 hours you will be allowed to reinstate at your local DMV center. You will not be valid until you pay the reinstatement fee of $60.00 at your local DMV center. You can reinstate by either going to DMV center in person or online.

If you fail to pay your forfeiture and jail is the alternative sentence you will receive a Summons by mail to appear at a Good Cause Hearing. If you appear at this hearing the Judge will ask you a series of questions and may give you a further payment extension. If you fail to appear at this hearing, a Writ of Commitment will be issued for your arrest.

If you fail to pay your forfeiture, we will also attempt to collect the money owed to us from your State taxes via the Tax Refund Intercept Program otherwise known as "TRIP" and/or SDC (State Debt Collection) program. This program allows us to certify your debt with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue. The debt will remain certified to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue until it is paid in full.