Patrol Officer Recruitment
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Patrol Officer with the Green Bay Police Department. The Patrol Officer recruitment process is extensive and generally consists of the following steps.
Step 1 : Online Application
- Candidates complete an online application.
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis throughout the year and recruitment processes are initiated approximately quarterly.
- Current minimum qualifications include:
- Minimum of an Associate Degree or 60 college credits from an accredited college or university.
- 18 years of age or older.
- U.S. citizen with no felony convictions.
- Valid driver’s license and an excellent driving record.
- Applications are reviewed by members of the Green Bay Police Department Professional Standards Division and the Human Resources Department. The City of Green Bay reserves the right to invite only the most qualified candidates to participate in the recruitment process.
Step 2: Testing
- The multiple choice written exam and report writing exam are designed to test the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for a position in law enforcement. These exams are conducted on the same day at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (NWTC) located in Green Bay.
Step 3: Police Department Panel Interview & Personnel Evaluation Profile
- The first round of interviews is conducted by a panel of Police Department representatives.
- Immediately following this interview, candidates complete the Personnel Evaluation Profile (PEP), which is used in the background investigation process.
Step 4: Eligibility List
- Successful candidates are placed on the eligibility list, which is used to fill Patrol Officer vacancies as they occur and remains in effect for approximately twelve months or until such time as the list is dissolved by the Police and Fire Commission.
- Background investigations are conducted on the top percent of candidates based upon anticipated hiring needs.
Step 5: Police and Fire Commission Interview
- Following the background investigation process, candidates who are recommended for hire by the Police Chief are invited to interview with the City of Green Bay’s Police and Fire Commission. Final hiring decisions are determined by the Police and Fire Commission.
Step 6: Hiring
- As vacancies occur, conditional offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a psychological evaluation and pre-employment medical examination. Candidates will also be asked to take a polygraph test.