Permitting Process

The Department of Community and Economic Development is engaged in both residential and commercial building projects including the Site Plan Review, the Building Plan Review, Permitting, and the Inspections and to Issuing of the Certificate of Occupancy.

Overview of the Permitting Process

Building permits are required for all new construction, including alterations and improvements, reconstruction and temporary tent events (PDF). Permits are required to have approved plans that are in compliance with the building and zoning codes before work begins. Permits are also very important to ensure quality construction and to have the work inspected for resident safety. Failure to obtain a building permit may result in the doubling of permit fees, a municipal citation of over $500, and the work ordered redone or removed if in non-compliance. 

Building permit applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received, whether online, mailed, or dropped off.  Review time for permits such as sheds, driveways, and fences is typically 3 to 5 business days, but some projects can take up to 3 weeks. When the application is received, it will be placed in the queue for processing. 

Obtaining a Permit

It is ultimately the responsibility of the property owner to make sure a permit is obtained. If you hire a contractor, make sure you see a permit card displayed in your front window before work begins. To obtain a permit, you may need the following:

  • Site Plan – A site plan is a bird’s eye view of your property drawn to scale showing property lines, buildings, and driveways. Include as many measurements as possible, especially distances from buildings to the property lines.
  • Building Plan – For anything involving structural changes or new construction, a framing plan is needed. Often you can obtain this when you order your lumber, especially for garages and sheds.
  • Estimated Project Cost
  • Names of All Contractors – This includes plumbers and electricians, along with state credential numbers, addresses, and phone numbers. All trades permits must be submitted with the Building Permit Application.
  • Landmarks Commission - Any property listed as a historic property within the City must submit a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) application.  COAs are then reviewed by staff or the Landmarks Commission.  Review is required prior to the issuance of a building permit.  The Commission meets the third Wednesday of every month at 4:30 p.m. via Zoom.

The City has two project permit applications. The short project permit application form is to be used for driveway expansions, yard sheds, fences, and patios. The long project permit application form shall be used for all other projects. All commercial projects shall use the long form. Access building permits here.

Erosion Control Permits

An approved erosion control permit application and erosion control plan demonstrating reasonable compliance with Chapter 34, Green Bay Municipal Ordinance and/or DSPS 20.09(4), Department of Safety and Professional Services Uniform Dwelling Code is required prior to permitting and prior to commencing land-disturbing construction or land development activity.

Erosion Control pre-con meetings and inspections are to be scheduled using our online Inspection Request Form (preferred method) or by calling 920-448-3300.