City of Green Bay logo

Department of Public Works

Digital Services During COVID-19

The Department of Public Works provides essential services to the City of Green Bay, even during times of crisis or increased public health and safety precautions within our area. This web page is designed in an effort to provide the same essential services to both residents and contractors during the COVID-19 situation, while limiting the amount of person-to-person contact. This is for the safety and well-being of both the community and City employees.

Public Works Digital Counter Services

Excavation & Obstruction Permits
Reserve Parking Meter Hoods
Order a Trash or Recycle Cart
Pay a Parking Citation OnlineContest a Parking Citation

See the tabs at the bottom of this page for links and documents related to our Digital Counter Services.

Contact Information

The Department of Public Works remains available by phone and email using the following contact information:

Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
(920) 448-3100
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
(920) 448-3535
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
(920) 448-3431

DPW asks that if you do not get through on your first call, rather than continuously trying to call back, please leave a voice message on our answering service with your name, address, and contact phone number. We will return calls in the order they are received.

Request for Service Website

The Request for Service website is still available to residents wishing to report potholes, missed garbage or recycle collection, traffic signal timing issues, and more.

  1. engineering
  2. operations
  3. parking

Obstruction and Excavation Permits

The Department of Public Works is still requiring and issuing necessary permits required for construction projects within the City of Green Bay right-of-way. During the COVID-19 situation, we are offering these permits online for contractors.

Important Note: all contractors must still have appropriate bond and insurance information on file with the City’s Risk Management Department before an excavation permit will be issued.

  1. Download the linked fillable PDF file(s) and fill out in their entirety.
  2. Sign your permit(s) (either a digital signature in Adobe or print your permit, sign, and scan as a PDF).
  3. Email your permit(s) to You must use the subject line "Excavation Permit" or "Obstruction Permit" and list your company’s name, along with the address or location you wish to perform work at. Always provide a phone number so that staff can call you if questions arise. You may also drop off paper copies of permits in the dropbox located at City Hall.

If you are submitting an excavation permit, you must also submit an accompanying obstruction permit. Please also ensure that you note what you are excavating (e.g. street, terrace, sidewalk, apron, etc.) and the size of your cut (excavation, e.g. 5’x5’) on the excavation permit.

Submit the permits as PDF files, not images or photos. Please submit permit requests with as much time as possible before your actual work.

Please allow 3 business days for the processing of permits. Excavation and obstruction permits are reviewed and processed in the order they are received. Do not submit permit requests the day of or the day before you plan to begin work. Your work may not begin until you receive your approved permit(s) back from the Department of Public Works.

Concrete/Sidewalk Builders License

Please call the Department of Public Works at (920) 448-3100 for an appointment and questions regarding applications for Concrete/Sidewalk Builders Licenses.

Drop Box Locations at City Hall